Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Looks Like Ass, but Tastes Like...

Heaven.

hello, my little foodigans!

I think this is going to be the Looks Like Ass But Tastes Like Heaven entry. Bare with me through all the yuck and see the beauty.

Mom's and Gramma's Manstew



I don't know this exact recipe, because usually me and my mom make it together, and since i think chopping is therapeutic, I usually just end up doing all of that and don't pay attention to the rest. I just know it's:

-roughly chopped celery, carrots and potatos with skins on.
-GOOD beef, cubed. stew meat is a bit fattier if you like yours moist and succulent. but a london broil is hearty and extremely lean. i prefer that.
-campbell's french onion soup, tomato soup, some tapioca annnnd a layer of onions to cover the top so the moisture doesn't escape from the mixture. it's fabulous absolutely everytime, and is the perfect meal to come home to. perfect with bread or bisquits, as they are the mop to the goodness. the smell is divine and sends comfort through your body and into the hungry pit of your stomach. i swear my senses heighten and my mind slows when i walk into the house to this smell.
this is a homely recipe that reminds me so much of my grandma from oregon. she always makes something out of nothing, but she doesn't get fancy like i always impulsively want to do. sometimes, i really really like and also kind of respect that.

next on the looks-like-ass agenda:

the dijon and egg potato salad I make for every barbeque that people always devour and ask about. it's actually relatively healthy, with no mayo and no oil, the skins of the potatoes, and the protein of the eggs.



7 or 8 medium sized potatos. scrub em, don't peel em (nutrients!) and cut into 3/4 inch cubes or so
8 eggs
lots of green onions
finely chopped celery
4 or 5 minced garlic cloves
a cup and a half of Miracle Whip
1/4 cup or so of your favorite brown whole grain mustard
another 1/4 cup of dijon mustard
1 or two tbsp of sugar
paprika
pinch of ceyenne pepper
dash of vinegar to loosen it up
touch of soy sauce for salt
.5 tsp black pepper

boil the potatoes in heavily salted water. hardboil the eggs. drain everything, don't let cool too much as they absorb and release flavors best when hot. dice eggs. mix all of the ingredients except for the potatos and eggs in LARGE bowl to serve. when thoroughly mixed, toss in potatos and eggs. voila. tastes best cold, and after it's hung out for awhile in the fridge.


Tonight I'm cooking another dinner party, and I'm super excited! :D

have a great day, everyone! bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment