Tuesday, July 27, 2010

homemade seitan

I bought seitan at the co op a few weeks ago and it was almost four bucks for just a one-serving packet. Nuts! But since I bought it, devoured it, and loved it, I decided to make it. For anyone who doesn't know, seitan is a fabulous high-protein meat substitute with a heavy chewy consistency. I got my ass on amazon, ordered some vital wheat gluten, and away we went...



Gummy strange delicious loaf mixture.
This is awful...I didn't measure at all...but it was probably about one and a half cups-2 cups of vital wheat gluten
3/4 cup nutritional yeast (delicious vitamin B-loaded savory cheesy vegan flakes)
1 small can tomato paste
1 can vegetable broth
buncha soy sauce
bit of water
grip of chili powder...like really...a lot.
lots of garlic powder
black pepper
...crap...I know there was more...

baked at 350 for about 90 minutes, wrapped tightly in foil to hold in moisture.



Baked off really beautifully. The texture is very satisfying, and the taste is warm, savory and extremely meaty. Plus, it's amazingly heathy and CHEAP.
Fabulous with ketchup or an onion gravy made with nutritional yeast.



I need to get this and play it with Chelsea and Justine.



BSU Broncos ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment