Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sesame Fried Tofu

I feel like I'm losing some originality, but the reality is that we just really really love tofu! As well as peanut butter, garlic, ginger, mushrooms and other veg...that said, this is a tofu stir fry. This dish below, however, is different because I actually broke down and bought sesame oil (!!!) and fried the cubes of tofu in it heavily before making the rest of the stir fry. This also got its sizzling sesame oil treatment. Added corn starch to the stir fry also to give it that super legit Chinese food stir fry texture without the MSG (that I personally happen to love...but oh well).
Anyhow, this is my Noah's plate, drizzled haphazardly and lovingly with Sriracha before I presented it to him.



Firm tofu cubes fried in sesame oil, seasoned with soy sauce, set aside. Then in the wok added more sesame oil, and threw in onion, green onion, ginger, garlic, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, mushrooms, water chestnuts, broccoli, a few brussels sprouts, carrots...and then soy sauce, peanut butter, sugar, corn starch and Sriracha. Yeah, really. Do this. Served on a bed of rice, sprinkled with chopped honey roasted peanuts and the Sriracha drizzle.

Pre-bite.



Bite.



Him telling me how very happy he is and how wonderful this is.



Him realizing that I'm taking pictures just of the faces he's making before and during food consumption.



Zeniff wasn't feeling too well, but here's the little portion I served to him. You can see the seared sides of the tofu a little better where the sesame oil made its mercilessly nutty rich crust.



And this...well...this is Seitan. I can't get enough of this. It's truly other-worldly and amazing if treated properly. This one was made with vital wheat gluten, tomato sauce, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder, cayenne pepper, nutritional yeast for richness, soy sauce, and water until it comes together. Baked with a crazy squirt of Sriracha over-top. Upon baking this one, it inflated almost comically in some areas. I guess we just like what we like.
On that note, I want to cook tonight and have it be all new.
I should also mention that I've been a bad food blogger, and have been cooking (playing with squashes and roasting possibilities has been quite fun!), but have not been documenting much of it. Mea culpa. I shall do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment